Best Student Paper Contest
The Student Paper Competition (SPC) is held to identify and recognize outstanding technical contributions from individual students. In general, it is preferred that the submitted paper have only two authors. The first author must be the student; the second (or last) author must be the student’s main advisor. Additional student co-authors are acceptable, but will also be subject to verification by the main advisor as detailed below. The first, second, and third prizes will be awarded based on content and presentation. To be considered for an award, the student must (i) be a full-time student during the time the work was performed, (ii) be the lead author, and (iii) register and personally present the paper at IMBioC 2018. During the paper submission process, the student is required to provide the email address of the main faculty advisor who will be asked, upon the selection of the paper to the SPC, to certify that the work is primarily that of the student.
The IMBioC 2018 SPC finalists will be formally announced by March 23, 2018. Notification will be sent only to those who are selected as finalists. If you do not receive such a notification, your paper has not been selected to the SPC. As a finalist, you will be required to participate in the SPC Interactive Forum. This forum is in addition to your normal paper session requirements described in your IMBioC 2018 paper acceptance email.
Student Paper Competition Submission and Review Requirements:
- All students wishing to participate in the competition are required to follow the regular IMBioC 2018 paper submission process (Deadline: Wednesday, February 7, 2018). Papers must be identified as SPC submissions during the electronic submission process.
- To be considered for the SPC, the student must be a full-time student during the time the work was performed.
- The faculty advisor’s email address must be provided during the submission process.
- SPC submissions are reviewed by the Technical Program Committee (TPC) using the same criteria as for all other IMBioC 2018 paper submissions. Only those papers that (a) are selfidentified as SPC submissions by the author, and (b) meet the SPC criteria listed here are eligible to participate in the SPC. Finalists will be selected and recommended by the TPC from the eligible SPC submissions.
- Confirmed finalists will receive recognition at IMBioC 2018.
Student Paper Competition Finalist Verification and Competition Requirements:
- The SPC finalists must present their papers at the assigned IMBioC 2018 session and also at the SPC Interactive Forum (separate from the regular Interactive Forum sessions).
- Judging will be performed by a specially formed SPC committee of experts. The winners will be announced and awards will be presented to the student.